Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Answer to my music collection

My music collection is made from very different genres. My collection consists of music from every decade since 1940 and includes easy listening, big band, country, bluegrass, blues, R&B, pop, rock and roll and rock (a.k.a. proper rock). Artists from Glenn Miller, Dean Martin, Bette Midler, Danny and the Juniors, Earl and Scruggs, Jim Croce, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Paul Simon, Deep Purple, AC/DC, and Led Zeppelin. Hey, whatever happened to the Humber River Valley Boys?

My all time favourite album is Deep Purple's Made in Japan. They may not be my favourite group of all time, but they are in amongst the top two. I was introduced to this album in 1973 when my father worked for Warner Bros Records. Since then I have had three things I wanted to see in life--The Coliseum in Rome, the Great Pyramids, and Deep Purple live.

I saw the Coliseum in September 2003 and Deep Purple's final concert with Jon Lord (keyboards) in 2002 at the NEC in Birmingham, Northamptonshire--Two out of three--not bad. I have been looking for more music to fill the proper rock category of my collection--Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, and AC/DC style. Back in September I found what I was looking for.

I am a regular viewer of the Rock n Roll TV podcast with Share Ross. On this particular podcast she introduced the Irish group, The Answer. They are absolutely brilliant. They mentioned they were working on an album, but their first album, The Rise, had been out for some time. I struggled to find a copy. My daughter's boyfriend, from England, too struggled to get a copy. However, on Christmas Eve the album arrived. For £9.99 (I gave him $20 Canadian) I received the special edition copy.

The Answer are opening for AC/DC in Toronto at the Roger's Centre tomorrow night.

If you love proper rock--here is the answer to your collection--The Answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment